Compiled by Peggy Brackett
Obligatory Disclaimer: The information in this handout is intended for educational purposes only.
These statements have not been evaluated by The Food and Drug Administration.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Anyone suffering from any disease, illness or injury should consult with a physician.
THESE SUGGESTED USES APPLY ONLY TO THE USE OF THERAPEUTIC GRADE, YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS.
The Everyday Oils Collection was created by Young Living Essential Oils (YLEO) so that anyone could immediately use and appreciate the benefits of therapeutic-grade essential oils.
This list contains 7 of the oils included in the collection.
The collection contains four single oils:
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
Lemon (Citrus limon)
Peppermint (Mentha piperita)
Frankincense (Boswellia carteri)
and four oil blends:
Peace & Calming
All single oils may be used as dietary supplements.
All of the oils may by diffused. The diffuser from YLEO is a special air pump that is custom designed to disperse the oils in a micro fiber vapor. This allows the oils to stay suspended in the air to reduce bacteria, fungi and mold. It also freshens the air with natural fragrances, eliminating the need for synthetic, harmful air fresheners. The diffuser disperses the oils without heat, which could render the essential oils less effective.
All of the oils can be applied to the Vita Flex points on the feet, added to bath water mixed with YLEO's Bath Gel Base, applied topically or used with body and foot massage.
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ AND FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES FOR THE SAFE USE OF YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS INCLUDED AT THE END OF THIS HANDOUT.
LAVENDER - (Lavandula angustifolia) is the most versatile of all essential oils. Therapeutic-grade lavender has been highly regarded for the skin. Lavender has been clinically evaluated for its relaxing effects. It may be used to cleanse cuts, bruises and skin irritations. The fragrance is calming, relaxing and balancing -- physically and emotionally.
THIS PLANT IS GROWN AND DISTILLED AT THE YOUNG LIVING FARMS.
1. Rub Lavender oil on the feet for a calming effect on the body.
2. Rub a drop of Lavender oil on your palms and smooth on your pillow
to help you sleep.
3. Put a drop of Lavender oil on a bee sting or insect bite to stop
itching and reduce swelling.
4. Put 2-3 drops of Lavender oil on a minor burn to decrease pain.
5. Drop Lavender oil on a cut to stop the bleeding.
6. Mix several drops of Lavender oil with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil and
use topically on eczema and dermatitis.
7. To alleviate the symptoms of motion sickness, place a drop of
Lavender oil on the end of the tongue or around the naval or behind the
8. To stop a nosebleed, put a drop of Lavender oil on a tissue and
wrap it around a small chip of ice. Push the tissue covered ice chip up
under the middle of the top lip to the base of the nose and hold as long
as comfortable or until the bleeding stops (do not freeze the lip or
9. Rub a drop of Lavender oil over the bridge of the nose to unblock
10. Rub Lavender oil on dry or chapped skin.
11. Rub a drop of Lavender oil on chapped or sunburned lips.
12. To reduce or minimize the formation of scar tissue, massage
Lavender oil on and around the affected area.
13. Rub 2 - 4 drops of Lavender oil over the armpit area to act as
14. Rub a drop of Lavender oil between your palms and inhale deeply to
help alleviate the symptoms of hay fever.
15. Rub several drops of Lavender oil into the scalp to help eliminate
16. Place a few drops of Lavender oil on a cotton ball and place in
your linen closet to scent the linens and repel moths and insects.
17. Place a drop of Lavender oil in your water fountain to scent the
air, kill bacteria and prolong the time between cleanings.
18. Place a few drops of Lavender oil on a wet cloth and throw into
the dryer, which will deodorize and freshen your laundry.
19. Put a drop of Lavender oil on a cold sore.
20. Diffuse Lavender oil to alleviate the symptoms of allergies.
21. Sprits several drops of Lavender oil mixed with distilled water on
a sunburn to decrease pain.
22. Drop Lavender oil on a cut to clean the wound and kill bacteria.
23. Apply 2-3 drops of Lavender oil to a rash to stop the itching and
heal the skin.
LEMON - (Citrus limon) has antiseptic-like properties and contains compounds that have been studied for their effects on immune function. It may serve as an insect repellent and may be beneficial for the skin.
CAUTION: Citrus oils should NOT be applied to skin that will be exposed to direct sunlight or ultraviolet light within 72 hours.
24. Use 6 drops of Lemon oil and 6 drops of Purification oil in a
squirt bottle mixed with distilled water to use in the bathroom as an air
25. Use 1-2 drops of Lemon oil to remove gum, oil, grease spots or
26. Use 1 drop of Lemon oil to add flavor to baked goods or beverages.
27. For homemade lemonade, in a blender mix 2 drops of Lemon oil, 2
tablespoons of honey and two cups of pure water. Adjust the amount of
each ingredient to suit your own taste.
28. Rub a drop of Lemon oil on a corn, callous or bunion mornings and
29. To clean and increase the shelf life of fresh fruit, fill a bowl
with cool water and 2-3 drops of Lemon oil. Drop your cleaned fruit into
the water and stir. Be sure all surfaces of the fruit contact the lemon
30. Add 2-3 drops of Lemon oil to water and spray counter tops to
31. Soak your dishcloth overnight in a bowl of water and a drop of
Lemon oil to disinfect and kill germs.
32. Add a drop of Lemon oil to your dishwasher before the wash cycle.
33. Rub a drop of Lemon oil on your hands after using a public
34. Use a paper towel soaked with several drops of Lemon oil to
sanitize bathroom fixtures.
35. Place a drop of Lemon oil on cold sores, herpes or other mouth
ulcers to lessen pain and aid healing.
36. Put a drop of Lemon oil on bleeding gums caused by gingivitis or
37. Put a drop of Lemon oil on oily skin or acne to balance sebaceous
glands (oil glands).
38. Rub several drops of Lemon oil on cellulite to improve circulation
and help eliminate waste from the cells.
39. Rub two drops of Lemon oil topically to clear athlete's foot.
40. Rub several drops of Lemon oil on varicose veins to improve
circulation and relieve pressure on the veins.
41. Rub a drop of Lemon oil on a wart morning and night until it
42. Rub a drop of Lemon oil to clean a butcher's block or other
43. Put 10-15 drops of Lemon oil in each gallon of carpet cleaning
solution to help pull out stains and brighten the rug. This also leaves a
fresh smell in the room.
PEPPERMINT - (Mentha piperita) is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion. Jean Valnet, M.D., studied peppermint's effect on the liver and respiratory systems. Other scientists have also researched peppermint's role in affecting impaired taste and smell when inhaled. Dr. William N. Dember of the University of Cincinnati studied peppermint's ability to improve concentration and mental accuracy. Alan Hirsch, M.D., studied peppermint's ability to directly affect the brain's satiety center, which triggers a sense of fullness after meals. PEPPERMINT IS GROWN AND DISTILLED AT THE YOUNG LIVING FARMS.
44. Rub 4-6 drops in the palm and rub over stomach and around the
navel to relieve indigestion, flatulence and diarrhea.
45. Add a drop of Peppermint oil to herbal tea to aid in digestion and
46. Massage several drops of Peppermint oil on the area of injury to
47. Apply Peppermint oil immediately to an injured area (bruised shin,
hit on the foot or hand) to relieve pain. If there is a cut, apply the
Peppermint oil around (not on) the open wound.
48. Rub several drops of Peppermint oil on the bottoms of the feet to
49. Apply a drop of Peppermint oil topically on unbroken skin to stop
50. For poison ivy or poison oak, apply Peppermint oil on location
neat or dilute with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil.
51. Inhale Peppermint oil before and during a workout to boost your
mood and reduce fatigue.
52. Massage several drops of Peppermint oil on the abdomen to relieve
53. To relieve a headache, rub a drop of Peppermint oil on the
temples, forehead, over the sinuses (stay away from the eyes) and on the back
of the neck.
54. To stop hiccups, apply a drop of Peppermint oil on each side of
the fifth cervical vertebra (up three notches from the large vertebra at
the base of the neck).
55. Place two drops of Peppermint oil on the tongue and rub another
drop under the nose to improve alertness and concentration.
56. Diffuse Peppermint oil in the room while studying to improve
concentration and accuracy. Inhale Peppermint oil while taking a test to
57. Rub 4 drops of Peppermint oil on chest and stomach to relieve
58. Place a drop of Peppermint oil on the tongue and inhale into the
nose and sinuses to relieve congestion from a cold.
59. Add Peppermint oil to food as a flavoring and a preservative.
60. To deter rats, mice, ants or cockroaches, place two drops of
Peppermint oil on a cotton ball and place along the path or point of entry
for these pests.
61. Mix one 15 ml. bottle of Peppermint oil into a 5 gallon can of
paint to dispel the fumes.
62. Place a couple of drops of Peppermint oil in a cup of hot water
and enjoy in place of coffee.
63. To kill aphids, add 4-5 drops of Peppermint oil to 4 ounces of
water and spray the plants.
64. Drink a drop of Peppermint oil mixed in a glass of cold water to
cool off on a hot day.
65. Rub Peppermint oil on joints to relieve arthritis or tendonitis
66. Place a drop of Peppermint oil on the tongue to stop bad breath.
67. Inhale the fragrance of Peppermint oil to curb the appetite and
lessen the impulse to overeat.
68. Remove ticks by applying a drop of Peppermint oil on a cotton swab
and swabbing the tick. Wait for it to unhedge its head and remove from
69. Mix Peppermint oil in a footbath to relieve sore feet. Keep water
agitated while soaking feet.
JOY - An exotic, luxurious blend of Lemon (Citrus limon), mandarin (Citrus reticulata), bergamot (Citrus bergamia), ylang ylang (Cananga odorata), rose (Rosa damascena), rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora), geranium
(Pelargonium graveolens), palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii), Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile), and jasmine (Jasminum officinale) that produces an uplifting magnetic energy and brings joy to the heart. When worn as a cologne or perfume, Joy exudes an alluring and irresistible fragrance that inspires romance and togetherness. When diffused, it can be refreshing and uplifting.
70. Rub a drop of Joy oil over the heart and on the bottom of each
foot to relieve feelings of frustration or depression.
71. Put a drop of Joy oil on the tip of the nose to uplift your mood.
72. Wear a drop of Joy oil behind each ear as a perfume.
73. Rub a drop of Joy oil between your palms and then spread over the
face and neck after shaving.
74. Rub two drops of Joy oil on areas of the body with poor
circulation to improve blood flow.
75. Rub two drops of Joy oil on the armpit area to use for a
76. Rub two drops of Joy oil on the heart and feet to increase libido.
77. Sprinkle a few drops of Joy oil into potpourri to improve the
PANAWAY - A blend of wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens), which has an active constituent similar to cortisone; clove (Syzygium aromaticum), which contains eugenol, used by dentists to numb gums; peppermint (Mentha piperita), which is calming for nerves; and helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum), which is soothing for localized discomfort. This blend was created by Gary Young following an injury that severely tore the ligaments in his leg.
78. Apply PanAway oil topically on an injured area to reduce
inflammation and bruising.
79. Apply PanAway oil topically to sore muscles after exercising.
80. Rub a drop of PanAway oil on the temples, forehead and back of the
neck to relieve a headache.
81. Mix PanAway oil with massage oil and massage on location to stop
82. Rub 1-2 drops of PanAway oil on arthritic hands to lessen pain.
83. Rub 2-3 drops of PanAway oil at the base of the spine to relieve
84. For arthritic pets, massage PanAway oil diluted with V-6 Vegetable
on location or a drop in the food.
PEACE & CALMING - A gentle, fragrant blend of Tangerine (Citrus nobilis), orange (Citrus sinensis), ylang ylang (Cananga odorata), patchouly (Pogostemon cablin) and blue tansy (Tanacetum annuum) specially designed for diffusing. It promotes relaxation and a deep sense of peace, helping to calm tensions and uplift spirits.
85. Rub 1-2 drops of Peace & Calming oil on the bottom of the feet and
on the shoulders before bedtime to get good quality sleep.
86. Diffuse Peace & Calming oil in the room to calm overactive or hard
to manage children.
87. Mix Peace & Calming oil with massage oil for a relaxing massage.
88. Put Peace & Calming oil mixed with Bath Gel Base in warm water for
a relaxing bath.
89. To help stop nocturnal teeth grinding, diffuse Peace & Calming oil
PURIFICATION - An antiseptic blend of Citronella (Cymbopogon nardus), lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus), rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis), melaleuca (Melaleuca alternifolia), lavandin (Lavandula x hybrida) and myrtle (Myrtus communis) formulated for diffusing to purify and cleanse the air and neutralize mildew, cigarette smoke and disagreeable odors.
90. Diffuse Purification oil to clean the air and neutralize foul or
91. Put several drops of Purification oil on a cotton ball and place
in the air vents in the home, office, hotel room or other enclosed area.
92. While traveling, inhale Purification oil during flights to protect
yourself from pathogens found in the recirculated air.
93. Put a drop of Purification oil on insect bites to cleanse and stop
94. Apply a drop of Purification oil on blemishes to clear the skin.
95. Rub a drop of Purification oil on the outside of a sore throat
when it is first beginning.
96. Rub a drop of Purification oil on a blister to cleanse and
97. Put 2 drops of Purification oil on two cotton balls and place in
the toes of smelly sneakers to combat odors.
98. Place a drop of Purification oil on each end of a cotton swab and
place on top of your cold water humidifier to clean the air.
99. Dilute Purification oil with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil and swab
the nasal cavity to ward off the flu.
100. Sprits several drops of Purification oil mixed with water to
101. Apply Purification oil and Peppermint oil diluted with V-6
Vegetable Mixing Oil to a cotton swab and rub just inside the ear to
eliminate ear mites in cats and dogs.
GUIDELINES FOR THE SAFE USE OF YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS.
1. Always keep a bottle of V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil, Massage Oil Base or any pure vegetable oil handy when using essential oils. Vegetable oils dilute essential oils if they cause discomfort or skin irritation.
2. Keep bottles of essential oils tightly closed and store them in a cool location away from light. If stored properly, essential oils will maintain their potency for many years.
3. Keep essential oils out of reach of children. Treat them as you would any product for therapeutic use.
4. Do not use essential oils rich in menthol (such as peppermint) on the throat or neck area of children under 30 months of age.
5. Direct sunlight and essential oils. Lemon, bergamot, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, White Angelica and other citrus oils may cause a rash or darker pigmentation if applied to skin exposed to direct sunlight or
UV rays with 3 to 4 days of use.
6. Keep essential oils away from eye area and do not put into ears. Do not handle contact lenses or rub eyes with essential oils on fingers. Oils with high phenol content - oregano, helichrysum, cinnamon, thyme, clove. Lemongrass, bergamot, Thieves and ImmuPower - may damage contacts and irritate eyes.
7. Pregnant women should consult their health care professional before using essential oils containing constituents with hormone-like activity, such as clary sage, sage, Idaho tansy, juniper and fennel.
8. Epileptics and those with high blood pressure should consult their health care professional before using essential oils. Avoid hyssop, fennel and Idaho tansy oils.
9. People with allergies should test a small amount of oil on a small area of sensitive skin, such as the inside of the arm, before applying the oil on other areas. The bottom of the feet is one of the safest, most effective places to use essential oils.
10. Before taking GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) essential oils internally, always dilute with an oil-soluble liquid like honey, olive oil or soy milk.
11. Do not add undiluted essential oils directly to bath water. Use Bath Gel Base as a dispersing agent for oils in the bath.
Young, N.D., Gary D. An Introduction to Young Living Essential Oils.
Ninth Edition, 2001.
Essential Oils Desk Reference. Compiled by Essential Science
Publishing, Second Edition, July 2001.